In our BioMedia class, we were privileged of building and setting up a beehive on the University of Denver campus. With the help of professional beekeepers, we were able to birth a growing community of honey bees to thrive and pollinate around the campus. The purpose of this study was to understand how bees interact in an urban environment. By using an audio recording device installed in the beehive, we were able to collect a variety of data from the sounds of the bees to the temperature of the hive.
My group consisted of four people including myself: Jeffrey Mutchnik, Brooke Neal, Ziyang Qui, and Danny Henderson. Within the group, my main focus was finding the visuals that were inputted into our software, as well as helping with the 3D model. For the video output, we used a clip of honey bees running in the background to capture the environment the bees are living.
Brooke was in charge of our sound output. She used Audacity to transform our audio data and produce a unique recording that was then used to drive our visual output.
Ziyang was our 3D modeling expert. With her knowledge of OpenGL models, we were able to create a 3D object that represented our hive and was manipulated by the audio input.
Danny dedicated himself to programming the Max software patch so that everything we collected and built would run smoothly.
With the data that we collected, we were able to create a visual output using Max software and OpenGL 3D modeling. We were able to map the amplitude from the audio data that we received from the beehive to manipulate our 3D model to interpret the activity of the bees. It was our hope to show the relationship between bees and how they work in unity to complete different tasks within their environment. I believe our project accurately represents that action that is taking place within the hive.